Heron Point Golf Course
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina
Timothy Liddy was the project architect for this 18 hole golf course remodel on Hilton Head Island.and practice range located in Carmel, Indiana.
Work on Heron Point began in September 2006. Construction on this remodel allowed the course ready for play in one year, a short turnaround for such a major project.
“This is no redesign by Dye and his team. Heron Point has been completely transformed”. As Sea Pines director of sports and golf operations, Cary Corbitt, said: "There is no resemblance to the former course. It is a total reconstruction, no different than taking a virgin piece of land and sculpting a new golf course. The only difference is that the corridors were there already, between the footprint of the houses, but we have changed as much of that footprint as we could within the corridors."
The new, multi-million dollar course is 7,000 yards from the back tees with a wonderful mixture of short and long holes. It can play considerably shorter if needed as there are six sets of tees on each hole, but length has little to do with the difficulty of Heron Point.
- Ranked #11 on GOLF Magazine's list of "Best Public Golf Courses in South Carolina" for 2012
- Ranked one of South Carolina's Top 50 Golf Courses for 2012, as selected by the South Carolina Golf Course Ratings Panel
- Ranked #10 on Golfweek's "2012 Best Courses: State by State" list
- Heron Point by Pete Dye - Ranked one of the Best South Carolina Courses" by Greater Columbia Business Monthly
- Heron Point, "Best Places to Play" list (Golf Digest)
- Heron Point ranked the #13 course in South Carolina on the list of "Best Courses Near You" (Golf Magazine)
- Heron Point ranked in Golf Digest's Top 50 Courses for Women.
- Designated as a "Certified Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary"